This feature is only available on FileZilla Pro, if you didn’t buy it yet you can buy FileZilla Pro from our Store →
How to Install FileZilla Pro on Debian Linux
- Go to the directory where the installation file was downloaded.
This file is named FileZilla_Pro_
- Open the file using the extract tool.
- Extract the files to the destination directory.
- Go to the directory where the files were extracted.
- Go to
- Start the program using the filezilla executable in the
Launch from command line
If it fails to launch from the file manager you may need to launch from the command line.
See below how to install and launch from command line:
- Open a terminal.
- Change to the directory where the installation file was downloaded,for example:
- Extract the file with:
tar xf FileZilla_Pro_
- Launch FileZilla Pro with:
To create a icon on the desktop:
- Copy the
FileZilla3/share/applications/filezilla.desktopto your Desktop directory.
cp FileZilla3/share/applications/filezilla.desktop $HOME/Desktop
- Open the file
filezilla.desktopin a text editor. Adjust the paths at Exec and Icon
according to the directory where the installation file was extracted to.Exec is the path to the FileZilla Pro executable file. For example:
- A shortcut icon is shown on the desktop.
- Right-click the shortcut and choose Allow launching.
- The shortcut now shows the FileZilla Pro icon:
- If you use another desktop environment, like KDE, you need to change the shortcut properties to allow execution:
- Right click the shortcut.
- Choose Properties.
- Mark Is Executable or Allow executing file as program.
Make it available in the list of applications
Note that some desktop environments do not support desktop icons. In this case move the
filezilla.desktop to your applications directory:
mv filezillapro.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
The shortcut will be in the list of available applications.
Please note that due to differences in distributions, the provided binaries for Debian Linux might not work on different GNU/Linux systems.
The systems where FileZilla Pro is known to work are:
- Debian 10.4 or greater
- Fedora 31 or greater
- CentOS 8.1 or greater
- Ubuntu 20.04 or greater
- Linux Mint 20 or greater
- openSUSE Leap 15.3 or greater
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 or greater
The following distributions where FileZilla Pro does not work:
- Ubuntu 18.04
- openSUSE Leap 15.1 and openSUSE Leap 15.2
- Linux Mint 19.3
Version 3.64 checked on May 1st, 2023 confirmed to work with the following versions:
- Debian 11.4
- Mint 20 and 21
- Ubuntu 22.04, 22.10 and 23.04
- CentOS Stream 8
- Fedora 36,37 and 38
- openSUSE Leap 15.3 and 15.4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9, installation of GTK+ 2 package is required with the command below
- Rocky 9, installation of GTK+2 package is required with the command below
- Arch Linux: installation of GTK+2 and libxcrypt-compat packages are required with the command below
sudo dnf install gtk2
sudo pacman -S gtk2 libxcrypt-compat